2022 Juried Student Art Exhibition
The Stark Museum of Art is pleased to announce the 2022 Juried Student Art Exhibition on view March 16 – May 14, 2022. The Juried Student Art Exhibition will accompany the Stark Museum of Art’s special exhibition Enlarging the View: Contemporary Photographs and Counterparts on view February 25 – August 27, 2022.
The exhibition of student artwork will be juried by Staff at the Stark Museum of Art, and will include up to 100 works of art created by 4th – 12th grade artists in Region 5, TX and Calcasieu Parish, LA. Artwork will be displayed in the museum’s Community Art Gallery and featured in an online exhibition. Artwork should depict an image that illustrates the concept of “juxtaposed” (placing two things together to show contrast or similarities).
Important Dates and Information:
- Registration forms will be available beginning September 7, 2021 at starkmuseum.org.
- A series of pre-recorded classroom videos will be available beginning October 18, 2021 for teachers to help them discuss this year’s theme and guidelines with students.
- Artwork must be received by the Stark Museum of Art on Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
- Featured Artists and Award Winners will be announced on the Stark Museum of Art website no later than Wednesday, March 2, 2022.
- All artwork meeting Requirements of Submissions will be scanned and featured in a digital exhibit displayed in the Museum and online.
- A Juried Art Reception is tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, April 6, 2022 from 5:00-8:00 p.m.
- All artwork submitted from Orange County public schools will be delivered to the school on Tuesday, May 17, 2022. All artwork submitted for the Juried Student Art Exhibition must be picked up at the Museum between May 18 and 21, 2022. Artwork that is not picked up will be deemed donated and will be discarded or used for other purposes as deemed appropriate by the Stark Museum.
For questions or information, please contact Jennifer Restauri Dickinson at 409.221.6685 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requirements for Submission:
- Artist must currently be enrolled in grades 4-12 in public, private, or homeschool in Region 5, TX or and Calcasieu Parish, LA. Artwork will be juried and exhibited in 3 categories: grades 4-5, 6-8, 9-12.
- Artwork must be two-dimensional, and either hand-rendered or traditional/digitally manipulated images.
- Artwork must be no smaller than 8” x 10” and no larger than 9” x 12”.
- Submissions should be on a flat, 2-dimensional surface, no deeper than ¼” inch. Please no entries on stretched canvas.
- Matted and/or framed submissions will not be accepted and returned immediately to the artist or teacher submitting the work.
- Only one original artwork per artist may be submitted.
- Artwork should depict an image that illustrates the concept of “juxtaposed” (placing two things together to show contrast or similarities).
- Artwork must be appropriate for an audience of all ages, including children. Excessively violent themes, offensive, crude, or derogatory subjects or designs are not permitted. Stark Museum reserves the right to disqualify artwork which it considers inappropriate for any reason.
- Artwork must have a typed label with artist name, grade level, title of artwork, and school on the back of his/her submission.
- Artist must submit a completed artist statement worksheet with their submission (see registration form). Worksheets should be neatly handwritten or typed. The Museum is not responsible for misspellings due to illegible writing.
- Completed registration form, with student and parent/guardian signatures, MUST accompany the artwork. All students, regardless of age, must have both parent/guardian and student signatures. Please do not staple forms to artwork.
- Artwork will be juried in two rounds. In Round 1 three jurors will view all works in a category and will cast an “IN” or “OUT” vote on each submitted work. Works receiving 2 or more “IN” votes will advance to the second round. A maximum of 400 works from all categories will advance to the second round. In Round 2, works will be judged on 4 criteria: skillful use of chosen medium, commensurate with artist’s grade level; composition and design; artist statement; and creativity. Round 2 Score sheets will be returned with artwork at the end of the exhibition.
By participating in the Exhibition, the signatories below agree that the Stark Museum may display the artwork, accompanying statement, and student name and school as it deems appropriate. Submissions not retrieved by the pick-up deadline are donated to the Stark Museum and will be discarded or otherwise used as the Museum chooses. The Stark Museum, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to reject or remove any submission that fails to meet the Requirements or that the Museum may determine to be inappropriate for display as part of the Exhibit. In consideration for acceptance of a student’s artwork in the Exhibit, the Stark Museum and the Stark Foundation will have the perpetual worldwide and royalty-free right to use any photographic (including digital) images, video, or audio related to a student’s participation in or submission to the Exhibit that may be made for promotional, documentary, and/or educational purposes, without compensation to the student artist or his/her heirs or assigns. The Stark Museum and the Stark Foundation, and its directors, officers, representatives, agents and employees, assume no liability for loss or damage to works of art submitted to the JUXTAPOSED: 2022 Juried Student Art Exhibition. Although care will be taken to prevent damage, theft, or loss, there can be no guarantee. Entry in the show constitutes agreement with these conditions.